Wednesday 9 November 2016

Discrimination against mental health

Hi guys! 

I want to say a massive hello to my new readers and twitter followers - I now have over 1K following this blog on twitter so hello to you all and I hope you can be helped and encouraged by the stories shared on my blog.

If you haven't already, please like my page on facebook or follow me on twitter:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/letstalkaboutmentalhealth 
Twitter - https://twitter.com/letstalkmhealth 

Please get in contact if you would be interested in sharing your story - always open to guest bloggers and would love to hear from people of all experiences and all walks of life!



It feels like it's been a very long time since I've posted a blog written by myself...


I'm in a really good place right now, which is perhaps why I haven't been able to find anything to write a blog about.
Of course things can still be tough, but I feel pretty in control at the moment.
I know it won't last forever but focussing on the here and now, all is well!


One thing has recently struck me though that I would like to start a discussion on. I've realised just how much we have to fight for our rights, which seems a bit crazy in this day and age.
I realise we have a long way to go in educating everyone about the realness of mental health and that we have come a very long way, but the fact that we are having to put up a fight in certain areas seems a bit ridiculous in 2016.

I found myself in a position recently where I personally felt I was discriminated against for having mental health problems. Without going into context, I basically felt my illness wasn't treated the same way a physical illness would have been treated.
This massively crushed my confidence, and put me in a bad place, questioning myself and my abilities as well as triggering my anxiety to become worse and worse.
I ended up fighting for my rights and after putting my case forward, ended up with the outcome I had wanted.
But the fact it got to that point in the first place is ridiculous. I know many people, like me, would stand up for themselves and fight for what's right, but I know there's also a few people who wouldn't have the confidence to do that, so would allow themselves to be treated unfairly and made to feel small, and this isn't fair.

To be honest, it's just furthered my passion to get everyone to understand mental health.
To understand that everyone is different when it comes to mental health problems and that it's not all black and white.

Anyone with any form of a disability is protected by the Equality Act.
You might not consider yourself to have a disability, but the Equality Act defines the word disability as:
‘a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’.

So mental health problems are considered as disabilities.

I want to hear your stories about discrimination against mental health. Please get in contact if you can share an insight into this, or would like to write a short piece for a blog.

Please do stand up for yourselves, and let's work together to talk about mental health!!

Suzy xxx

1 comment:

  1. Glad things have worked out even if they shouldnt have had to be questioned in the first place. Always here if you need someone to talk to, even if its just a hug you need, I'm here for you

    ReplyDelete